Tuesday, August 4, 2009

On Forgetting Where You Read It

It's slightly ironic that I thought my next post here would be about a quote from Antonio Machado regarding dreams and memory. As those of you who have your own blogs may recognize, an aspect of the blogging world is that it turns many pieces of your own life into potential material. So I was quite excited when, going through a stack of used books I was considering purchasing, I came across this opening quote that seemed so apt.

Unfortunately, I can't find it again.

I've looked at all the books I thought it was in, but no dice. I've done a little internet research, but it turns out Machado has spoken, or perhaps more accurately, written poetry about dreams and memory many times. In any case, the quote did not come back to me.

Fortunately, this has sent me on a somewhat different tack about memory. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read something brilliant, or that resonated with me, or at the very least was worth recalling and pondering, and then been too lazy to drop what I was doing and write it down. Neither could I recount the number of times I have subsequently searched the text I know it was in, only to come up empty handed. "It had to have been about here." "I remember it came right after this." "I am absolutely sure it was on the left hand side of the page, towards the middle." If I turn out to be fifty percent right about these 'certainties', I'd be surprised.

More often than not, I never find the line that caught my interest again.

Now I'm sure more tenacious people, or those rare, commendable people with photographic memories, are sneering slightly at this point. And really, I don't blame them. I must say that if by now I haven't learned that I should at least make note of the page number, or in this case, the title--by which I mean actually write it down--well, more fool me.

But here's the interesting part. Sometimes, I do find the quote. And usually, it is not quite how I remembered. It does not quite express the point I thought it did. It says something almost the same, but not quite. It turns out that I have put my own spin on it. Used it to my own ends. It's not usually in contradiction to what the writer has to say, but my own brain has 'tweaked' it slightly. In some way, my mind has taken the ball and run with it. Hopefully towards our side's goalpost, but not always.

I like to think that this doesn't mean that I am just a careless reader, though obviously, sometimes I am. The more charitable view is that we all read things and sometimes identify closely with them, leading to our own insights, which we then in turn read back into the text, altering it ever so slightly as we go.

At least, I really hope it's not just me.

17 comments:

  1. This happens to me all the time. Unfortunately, I can't recall any recent instances. I try to precent it by carrying a notebook or by by sticking Post-its in a book so I can take notes while reading.

    I also sometimes misremember the source of some memorable passage, which can be even more exasperating than forgetting outright.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, I believe that it was Somerset Maugham somewhere in Of Human Bondage who said something about how rare it is for human beings to actually learn from their mistakes. At least, I think it was Maugham. And I think that's what he said.

    Obviously, I would fall into the not rare category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maugham, you say? Let me write that down.
    =================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea.

    I have a feeling that I will keep suddenly realizing that that is a good idea for a long time to come, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny thing is that I was just watching Finding Nemo for the first time on television tonight, in which Dorie the Blue Fish, as voiced by Ellen DeGeneres, aptly embodies what it would be like to live with extreme short term memory loss.

    I suppose we should count ourselves lucky. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember "where I've read it". Or at least, if a passage strikes a sense of deja-vu and I concentrate a bit I generally remember the source without much effort and without having to go mad about it. What causes me problems are question like "now name some example of..." - questions Peter is very fond of. This still creates a sense of deja vu, but without a direction I rarely can find more than 1-2 examples and I know there are many more. It's very infuriating.
    In the case of phrases that strike me, I tend to remember the gist, not the exact wording.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Name me some examples of such questions I have asked.
    =================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. "And what other crime novels have taken up the subject?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter, don't be intimidated by Marco's frustrations. He needs to understand a bit how we mere mortals live.

    Sadly, I also can sometimes find myself unable to answer such questions. But I don't feel frustrated by them, I like the kind of puzzle aspect of them, where you circle the question and try to find some way to answer it. Sucharita's Past Continuous is an example of a blog where a question is asked. Most of the people who answer have lived in a culture at least somewhat similar to hers, but for me it often involves an act of translation. Although this can be frustrating, I actually like trying to come up with my own version from the U.S. side.

    Still, I do wish I had your ability to recall where you read something, Marco. The only upside is that the opposite has always been the case for me, so I don't have to attribute it to hardening of the arteries or anything. Just my normal errant brain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I refrained from such a question in the post I just put up, but I could easily add one. Or two.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peter, Marco's frustration doesn't mean it's a bad idea. In fact, I was thinking of incorporating a question in one of my own posts very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I've been pensive and introspective lately, questioning the need for including questions.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't actually know that you need to do it at this point, Peter, but on the other hand, where's the harm. It still may encourage a few people who doubted the worth of chiming in to, well, chime in. And I do think fresh blood is important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I was just exercising a bit of self-deprecatingly mordant wit. Sometimes I think of questions, sometimes I don't.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peter, I've just realized that your "Name me some examples of such questions I have asked" was an example of what I was saying, and you did it on purpose. Boy, am I dense sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marco, I welcome your full mental powers back. I trust they enjoyed their vacation and are now back to their full vigor.
    =================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete